THE RUMOR MILL & GOSSIP WAREHOUSE
Give Us Your Version of the Word on the Street!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mike Farris Was All Set To Play WHEELIEFEST 15!! (Read 124 times)
Bryan_T
Administrator

Rockin' & Racin'

Rockin' Rowland
Mike Farris Was All Set To Play WHEELIEFEST 15!!
05/31/13 at 09:58:43

I rarely share the drawn-out inner workings of band negotiations but in this particular case I feel the Wheelie nation deserves to know where things currently stand. A few months ago I entered into a potential performance agreement with Mike's latest booking agency. Logistics are ALWAYS key thus in this case I was assured our date August 10th was available(still is). Mike already had a confirmed gig August 17th in MA thus they were trying to fill in enough northeast shows in between to make a week long mini-tour profitable. A WF15 appearance all but assured such as a lucrative financial agreement was reached. I filled out their complete binding contract, scheduled his set time for just after the WF dinner break and offered that he could leave immediately after his set if it made him feel more comfortable. Weeks went by and slowly other gig offers filled in the mid-week nights. All looked incredibly promising, both logistically & financially as it would certainly be difficult to walk away from such a solid & sensible business plan. Mike Farris COULD return home to WHEELIEFEST if he so choose. The final confirmation date was set for Tues May 28th. I spent an anxious Memorial Day weekend pondering the overdue possibility. Tues came & went as did most of Wed when finally the email came.

Hi Bryan –

We’re going to have to pass on this offer - Mike doesn’t want to do anything with the Wheelies anymore. Sorry about that!

Best-

I suspect you all share in my disappointment. Perhaps WHEELIEFEST 20 will make them take notice. It did for Woodstock!!

"My clan is tough, my face is rough from weather & booze" - Parlor Mob

"AC/DC is the small block Chevy of Rock-N-Roll" -drunken BT
WWW   IP Logged
StvMan
Real Rocker

"Yeah but I can
go to 11. One More
Louder"

Re: Mike Farris Was All Set To Play WHEELIEFEST 15
Reply #1 - 06/01/13 at 08:41:44

It's a shame when you can't come to grips with your past and leave it behind. I take this decision personally and it is very upsetting since I/We as the Wheelie family have supported him through the years post Wheelies. The man is talented and I won't take that away but I for one don't know that I can support him anymore.

"A Little Whiskey Buzz Through Your Radio" TCB
  IP Logged
Buzzaroo
Real Rocker

It don't get much
better than this!

Reply #2 - 06/01/13 at 12:11:22

Well that's just a God damned shame.

The road to hell has always been paved with good intentions and promises made.
  IP Logged
hip
Real Rocker

KILL UGLY RADIO!

Canada
Reply #3 - 06/01/13 at 12:49:34

too many skeletons I guess.  I am disappointed but understand.

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Dragon Angelsmoke
Real Rocker

Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 07:12:37

I hope this does not come off to heavy. The truth

We are  not the people that we were a few years ago. We are not the people that we were last week. You are who you are today, right now. The now which is present in front of you is extremely powerful.

Here's the key to the highway. If you try and hide the negative in your own past, rather than forgive, (and focus on the positive in your past), you can never fully live this moment (the now) with your new freedom.

There is a fine line between setting up personal boundaries and setting up personal walls. Your past is a thread of who you are. It's your truth.

So I find myself asking. Why was Bryan led to think that WF was a possibility and then a change of heart on Mike's part?  I can't help but wonder if Mike is still dealing with his negative past. He is a great talent. I truly hope he has forgivin himself, found "his positive past", and is fully enjoying his personal freedom on the rightcheous rock n roll highway.

That said, Mike's choice not to play WF is respected. Hopefully he will one day. Because we all know his positive past, is truly rock n roll amazing!

The truth
Chris Dragon

Lighten things up here .... Check this out

http://youtu.be/ymd1ligYyfk

« Last Edit: 06/02/13 at 09:14:56 by Chris Dragon Angelsmoke »  
  IP Logged
rick-cea
Real Rocker

Can It Get Any
Better?? ,
Wheeliefest 18!!

Plattsburgh, NY
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 12:12:05

seen him once [WF6], and that's cool with me ..
but I've seen so many other great bands at Wheeliefest
If I never see Mike / SCW again .. but see many other
great bands, thanks to Bryan and the rest of the Rowland Crew,
I think most of us can get on with the next gig with mass enjoyment.
Entertainers are just that, sometimes .. the band members
that come to Wheelieifest and hang with the fans are friends.
and the Wheeeliefest friends / fan base is what makes this event
SPECIAL!!!  .. long live WHEELIEFEST!!!!

'Ya all hear me out there?' .. "YEAAA!" .. 'You think they'd hear us in the next county? I hope the hell so!' M. Farris : WF4 9/28/02
WWW   IP Logged
Uncle Rick
Ripe Rocker

The doctor said have
just one drink per
day! OK!

Lost n Found
Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 19:55:25

Right on Rick. The music lead me to Wheeliefest but the friends I've made keeps me coming back. Bryan always gives us a stellar line up of musicians.
I would have loved to see Mike but I respect his decision. I know how hard  is to battle the inner demons.
Thanks for trying Bry. See all u freaks and dreamers soon.

Arnold Schwarzenegger says.... "Get Your Ass to WHEELIEFEST"
Uncle Rick Uncle Rick   IP Logged
Bryan_T
Administrator

Rockin' & Racin'

Rockin' Rowland
Reply #7 - 06/03/13 at 21:33:03

Mike reached out and called me today. We shared a 45 minute intense but kind conversation. His struggles remain thus he's not yet ready to return to WHEELIEFEST. Whilst he awaited my return home from work to respond to his call he offered this heartfelt statement on facebook.

"I would like to address a big misunderstanding that has come up regarding a celebrated grass roots festival named after my former band The Screaming Cheetah Wheelies called Wheeliefest. Bryan Thompson has asked me several times to come back and play the festival and I have tried the best I know to be sensitive to his requests without him feeling hurt over the matter. On every occasion I refused to for my own very personal reasons but I want to make my point of view very clear to you all as well. As most of you know, I am in recovery. This continues to be a “one day at a time” journey. I have been fortunate to have amazing friends and family support me, along with all the good people who work on my behalf to further the music that I get the privilege to play. I am also a strong believer in the 12 step program. All these things, combined with my personal faith has kept me above water, but it has taken diligence and commitment every single day of my life. I am extremely fortunate to have a team of people who work with me to see that while we go and share our music we don’t compromise my sobriety in any way, shape or form. This sometimes entails making really difficult decisions to turn some shows down. There are many, many, many shows I turn down every year and maybe I could make more money but it’s not worth it to me. I have turned down a lot of things in my career that could have moved things way along, including working with Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Double Trouble tours and on and on because money and fame has never driven me, or else I would have sold out a LONG time ago, cuz God knows I have had many opportunities to.

WWW   IP Logged
Bryan_T
Administrator

Rockin' & Racin'

Rockin' Rowland
Reply #8 - 06/03/13 at 21:33:56

The Wheelie fans have been and continue to be an incredible group of fans. Through the years they have supported me wholeheartedly. In fact, other friends of mine who have sold way more records than myself and the Wheelies combined, on occasion, have joined me to go on solo tours because even though they sold more records they didn’t have the loyal fan support that I have had the blessing of having. I am grateful beyond measure. Even though, out of respect, I would never play Wheelies songs with my new band, I am more than happy to pull out those songs for solo shows, because I know what those songs mean to you! I’m even ok with the occasional SCW chant and the ever present “Whoo-Whoo’s” ☺

With respect to Bryan, never have I told anyone on my team that I would never do anything with Wheelies again and if that was in fact the response they gave Bryan, that was straight up wrong. I had no idea that Bryan and KCA had even been negotiating the deal as I never know what shows they are working at any given time. Knowing how passionate Bryan and Michelle are about Wheeliefest, I would have never allowed them to be mislead.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of places that my family and myself don’t feel comfortable revisiting. It’s still way too painful for them as well as myself. It’s a terrible thing to live with the pain of knowing you have hurt the very people you love but surely even that can’t compare with being an innocent victim of someone suffering from addictions and doing their level best to destroy everything around them, including themselves.

Above everything and all, my need to maintain my sobriety and to continue to be sensitive to the needs of my God and family will continue to be the driving forces in my life. I hope that these words will find understanding ears and hearts. I remain gratefully in spirit-
Mike

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny Smoke
Senior Rocker

Life is short, live
everyday like it is
your last!

Western NY
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 19:18:41

Wow! What an awesome post from Mike! I am blown away by his response and am proud to be a SCW fan and Mike Farris fan... I had suspected he would decline due to the very reasons he stated and have the utmost respect for him sharing with us all... kudo's to Mike for acknowledging Bryan and Michelle directly and the issue at hand.
 We SCW and Wheeliefest fan's are a very passionate bunch and like others have stated the friends we have made are lifelong ones... If not for SCW's music and Wheeliefest I literally would not be where I am today!

IP Logged
Uncle Rick
Ripe Rocker

The doctor said have
just one drink per
day! OK!

Lost n Found
Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 23:46:23

I need a Mike show / road trip / Folley F in Beach. I miss the road trips to Nashville.

Arnold Schwarzenegger says.... "Get Your Ass to WHEELIEFEST"
Uncle Rick Uncle Rick   IP Logged
DougOrama
Real Rocker

Texas
Reply #11 - 06/06/13 at 00:55:34

Well, that's a bummer. I guess the dream is over.

I think the Wheelies should get Chris Stapleton of the Jompson Brothers to join up and kickstart a new era.

"I'm sorry to say that I'm amazed at what passes for love."
---
Order the new Storyville LIVE DVD and CD set!
WWW   IP Logged
leedog
Senior Rocker

Not Leedog

Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 06/06/13 at 20:11:26

Well said, Chris and Rick(s).

p00p
  IP Logged
RatKing
Wee Rocker

Reply #13 - 07/24/13 at 22:41:01

Hey Everyone!!!

I'm a few hours south of Fantasy Island & will be celebrating my 10th fest this year!!!  There is a small venue, just about 2 hours south of Fantasy Island called the Sellersville Theater and our beloved Mike Farris himself will be doing a show there on Wednesday August 14th believe it or not just a few days after. I'll probably go and catch the show, often you can do a meet and greet after the show. I'll have on my WF15 shirt and give him a big .....well hopefully he'll appreciate a big wheeliefest HELL MFN YEAH!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print