THE RUMOR MILL & GOSSIP WAREHOUSE
Give Us Your Version of the Word on the Street!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
What's COOL, Fresh & New Musically? (Read 675 times)
Bryan_T
Administrator

Rockin' & Racin'

Rockin' Rowland
What's COOL, Fresh & New Musically?
01/25/11 at 14:04:21

I've been in a bit of a funk lately as far as TRULY embracing any new music or bands. The popular music world is overdue for a serious SHAKE-UP of the Guns & Roses or Nirvana magnitude. Is it likely anytime soon? Huh

"My clan is tough, my face is rough from weather & booze" - Parlor Mob

"AC/DC is the small block Chevy of Rock-N-Roll" -drunken BT
WWW   IP Logged
dirtbag
Administrator

Knowledge of the
lack of knowledge is
POWER!

Re: What's COOL, Fresh & New Musically?
Reply #1 - 01/25/11 at 15:34:56

Don't hold your breath on a national or international scale brother.

There's PLENTY of kickin' fresh talent right under your proboscis. (see potential WF 13 lineup in recent SGIE thread for starters  Cool)

Can it get any better than drinkin, rockin, and blowin shit up? I didn't think so.
~ Bill Todd L.C.C.
WWW   IP Logged
Hilly
Real Rocker

East Tennessee
Reply #2 - 01/26/11 at 01:18:08

Well, ...we definitely need some magnitude on the good ole rock n' roll and hard rock scene. I'm still diggin' on the Black Country Communion, The Jompson Brothers...and on the harder side of the rock, my latest obsession is House Of Broken Promises. None of these will probably ever see the huge mainstream magnitude and possibly jump-start things for the better. But, they damn sure rock in these fucked up times.

Just a stranger in a strange land.
  IP Logged
StvMan
Real Rocker

"Yeah but I can
go to 11. One More
Louder"

Reply #3 - 01/26/11 at 19:07:48

We need a band to ht the main stream that has the good old fashion Rock 'n' Roll morals.. SEX 'N' DRUGS, and ROCK 'N' ROLL

On a sad note about these times musically...On FB there was a post by one one my friends (and I use that term loosely) OF Theory of a Dead Man doing their famous "I Hate My Life" A live version of some sort it was....The comment below was "that is the best version ever!!!!" I comment back "what version sounds like the record". I got back "not a fan?". Not really. My point here is I have seen some real Live performances of this band and they SUCK live. The singer can't sing for shit.. I think the tune is cool and funny but, I can think of many many other bands that could have done it better and are real. I commented then again on FB that Theory of a Dead Man is a produced band and there is no real to them Huh

« Last Edit: 01/26/11 at 20:14:49 by StvMan »  

"A Little Whiskey Buzz Through Your Radio" TCB
  IP Logged
Hilly
Real Rocker

East Tennessee
Reply #4 - 01/27/11 at 00:24:34

Could it be that we're just getting old? I hate to put it that way but there is a bit of truth to it. One thing I will admit, as I get older, my interests in music have gotten to be a bit more eclectic but nowhere near as much as some folk I know, who are half my age. Hey, if it's something that's "real" to them, then that's fine. Just today, well, most of the day at work, I listened to my "THE FONK" playlist on my iPod. Oodles of 1970's Black American Funk. Yes. I love the stuff. Bands that I had never heard of, because back in the seventies, I might've heard it before, blaring from a neighbors house along with some Rod Stewart and The Rolling Stones but I was more interested in playing with my Hot Wheels and Star Wars toys back then. But, you see, it took someone twice as old as myself, to turn me onto this music. Another music junky that quite possibly has a broader range of taste in music than I could ever have. There's a lot of stuff that I loved back in the 80's and there's also twice as much that I never want to listen to again. I'm always very thankful for the people I've met, along the way, who have turned me onto so much great music. It'd take forever to mention names and it'd take an eternity to mention the artists. Big Thanks to the folks here, who have turned me onto some really fine stuff! I love music. Can't live without it. Maybe we need the 1970's to happen again...not the same but different? If that makes any sense?

IP Logged
dirtbag
Administrator

Knowledge of the
lack of knowledge is
POWER!

Reply #5 - 01/27/11 at 12:26:53

The '70's was the GREATEST era of rock EVER - period. (1968 - 1978 to be exact).  Not to sound pessimistic, but I think one would be smoking more than tabaccy in their pipe if they thought we'll ever relive those sonic heights again in our lifetime.

I think the most important thing we can do right now is to continue to make connections, forge links and build relationships with the rest of the REAL ROCK nation that's out there that we haven't met yet, through all technological means possible.  Cause I can ASSURE you they're there.

Look what we've accomplished here in the last 15 or so years with this board, the hundreds of bands we've discovered, Wheeliefest, the Rowland Acoustic Revival/Flatbedfest and the COUNTLESS number of one off shows we've hooked up at as friends.  Sure we lost a good measure when the Wheelies broke up but the rest of us kept on KEEPIN' ON and that says a HELLUVA LOT.  And the BEST part is we know/have connections with many KILLER bands that fly under the radar.

Rock never died and never faded away.  That was just some bullshit rhetoric spin conjured up by the labels to sell more records or units or whatever the fuck it is they sell now (oh yah - their SOULS) in other manufactured, over-produced, cookie cutter bubblegum chewing genres.

Like we've always said - one fan at a time.  One fan at a time.  Eventually, the labels will notice (like we care).

Can it get any better than drinkin, rockin, and blowin shit up? I didn't think so.
~ Bill Todd L.C.C.
WWW   IP Logged
Chris Dragon Angelsmoke
Real Rocker

Reply #6 - 01/27/11 at 13:27:46

Well let me say this. We are living in the Classic Golden Period of popular rock music. (maybe the tail end of it), but still the classic period non the less. This will change very soon. I'm thinking in the next 10 years, maybe sooner. Music as we know it will change bigtime. 100 years from now, they will look back and study this period as the golden area. (Including the boy/girl band phase of the late 90's early 2000 Puke FARt)…Why will this change? Because music will no longer be the social voice for a generation that has nowhere to turn to spew their ideas,art or politics. (Like we did) Now the kids today can turn to plenty of other places to spew their anger,love, or muse. Music will no longer be the soundtrack medium for change. You can see it already. Yes there are many great bands today. Probablly better than the 70's (dare I say that). Because they have learned from the 60's 70's 80's 90's ect ect…but…the popular culture don't give a shit about music like it once did. Just the music lovers and musicians are all that is left. The rest…they are the push the radio button generation every tens seconds looking for a hook on their way to work while surfing on forums and facebook creating their own reality show content.  Where once "content was king"…there is just too much of it everywhere over many mediums. In that’s' the key problem.  - "Many mediums!"

Although rock n roll will never die because it has become a medium. (Not just content). The rock Idol will die everyday!...the audience in the star. The medium is the star. The content will come and go.  In a world where media is everywhere, Marshall McLurn was never so right! The MEDIUM is the message.

McLuhan proposes that a medium itself, not the content it carries, is the focus. He said that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not only by the content delivered over the medium, but also by the characteristics of the medium itself.

...cont

IP Logged
Chris Dragon Angelsmoke
Real Rocker

Reply #7 - 01/27/11 at 13:28:48

So…when once we would grab the rains of rock n roll music, and flip the fuckin table, because we wanted to be noticed, herd or was just plain pissed off at our parents.  There are now other ways to do that now besides selling out statiums and records. The character of the medium of music has less of a roll in this new gereration of kids. Wait till this new gen gets older. I call them the Digital Generation. (everyone born after 1999). They will be the ones who really change the "medium of everything". Rock n Roll will be become a credit study at Harvard. And the new medium will be the rock star idol!

Can anyone remember who won the last American Idol?

My point!...but everyone knows American Idol is on TV right now

All hail facebook…the new rockstar!

Peace Out
C
Where's my cold beer and Exile on Main Street record dam it!!!!

BTW...check out KING HOBO...I was lisening to them this morning on the Ipod Cool

IP Logged
Hilly
Real Rocker

East Tennessee
Reply #8 - 01/27/11 at 14:26:43

dirtbag wrote on 01/27/11 at 12:26:53:
Rock never died and never faded away.

Yeah. It just jumped ship and went overseas. Maybe we're due for another British Invasion. Heck, I'm game.

IP Logged
hip
Real Rocker

KILL UGLY RADIO!

Canada
Reply #9 - 01/27/11 at 14:46:08

Lately I have been listening more to the local college radio station and hearing some new stuff, some new stuff that sounds like old stuff, and retro tunes.  Having some fun, not really looking for that diamond and don't have time to be researching much.  I am in need of some live show and waiting till the right one hits.  They also have some shows and I was hope to find time to program a Wheeliefest/Guitar Rock show but too time consuming.  Always been a dream to DJ though.
http://www.cjlx.fm/

WWW   IP Logged
hip
Real Rocker

KILL UGLY RADIO!

Canada
Reply #10 - 01/27/11 at 14:56:21

allsouthernrock.com is still rollin' and has gone more indie too due to FCC rules.  May find something there?

WWW   IP Logged
dirtbag
Administrator

Knowledge of the
lack of knowledge is
POWER!

Reply #11 - 01/27/11 at 15:39:34

Hilly wrote on 01/27/11 at 14:26:43:
dirtbag wrote on 01/27/11 at 12:26:53:
Rock never died and never faded away.

Yeah. It just jumped ship and went overseas. Maybe we're due for another British Invasion. Heck, I'm game.

Or a Swedish invasion. Smiley

Good point though.  For some reason, the labels don't seem to beat up on our favourite genre so much across the pond.  Fans seem to be much more vocal about their passion for it over there and subsequently reap the reward for showing up.

~ Bill Todd L.C.C.
WWW   IP Logged
dirtbag
Administrator

Knowledge of the
lack of knowledge is
POWER!

Reply #12 - 01/28/11 at 16:35:01

Speaking of across the pond, here's ANOTHER festival (of many in northern Europe) that looks like a great time!

BCC just got added to the bill.

~ Bill Todd L.C.C.
WWW   IP Logged
Hilly
Real Rocker

East Tennessee
Reply #13 - 01/29/11 at 00:41:29

dirtbag wrote on 01/28/11 at 16:35:01:
Speaking of across the pond, here's ANOTHER festival (of many in northern Europe) that looks like a great time!

BCC just got added to the bill.

DAMN IT!  

IP Logged
MikeT
Senior Rocker

Reply #14 - 01/31/11 at 11:33:57

Chris....you nailed it....and the King Hobo is awesome stuff!! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print