THE RUMOR MILL & GOSSIP WAREHOUSE
Give Us Your Version of the Word on the Street!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tom Petty? (Read 277 times)
Glenn
Wee Rocker

Tom Petty?
06/07/05 at 10:59:07

Going to see him tomorrow night, as the Black Crowes begin their run as Petty's 'special guests' tonight.

I've been force-feeding myself with Petty the past few days (have his boxed set and just bought "Wildflowers"), but I just have to say :yawn:

While I like some of his (mostly early) stuff, on the whole it's a great big snoozefest. I can't imagine the Crowes not blowing him off the stage.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Bryan_T
Administrator

Rockin' & Racin'

Rockin' Rowland
Re: Tom Petty?
Reply #1 - 06/07/05 at 11:22:35

Thanks for stopping in, Glenn.

I saw TP once in the late 80's with Guns & Roses opening on the beginning of their Appetite for Destruction tour. I was absolutely there for GnR and they were the "HOT" new band but Petty truly impressed.

Axl's voice was lousy live(even then) but Slash and the boys smoked. However Petty showed them how it was done proper!! Classy, relaxed, great musicianship and strong songs. I was shocked at how entertaining he was. He also  tends to share his views on the music industry which are pretty hard to dissagree with even back then. I think you'll be surprised Glenn.

I know it won't be a contest with the Crowes opening but keep an open mind and let us know your thoughts afterwards.

"My clan is tough, my face is rough from weather & booze" - Parlor Mob

"AC/DC is the small block Chevy of Rock-N-Roll" -drunken BT
WWW   IP Logged
wheeliechick
Wee Rocker

Reply #2 - 06/07/05 at 14:19:13

Okay, Bryan T, you win. Per your  insistence, I'm stoppin' in. I always thought Tom Petty was somewhat of a snorefest myself, but I've never seen him live, and I can respect him as a musician, so I'll keep an open mind. Just as Bryan did for Mr. Crowes Garden.

So far this tour I've seen TBC in 5 different states and Petty will be the best band to share the bill by far. I mean, who are the 22-20s or 12-20s or whoever they are anyway...

« Last Edit: 06/07/05 at 16:29:21 by wheeliechick »  
  IP Logged
Andy24
Real Rocker

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 06/07/05 at 14:44:29

I agree about the TP snorefest, but can't beat Black Crowes from 7th row left of center at Darien. I think Tom will put on a good show, I just hope they play some of the oldies but goodies and then covers and skip the boring crap. I used to like TP back in the day, but his late 80's stuff and current is not my bag.

IP Logged
Glenn
Wee Rocker

Reply #4 - 06/07/05 at 15:57:38

wheeliechick   wrote on 06/07/05 at 14:19:13:
So far this tour I've seen the TBC in 5 different states and Petty will be the best band to share the bill by far. I mean, who are the 22-20s or 12-20s or whoever they are anyway...

The 22-20s flat-out sucked, but Rose Hill Drive freakin RAWKED! Joy, I guess you didn't get to see them open?

IP Logged
wheeliechick
Wee Rocker

Reply #5 - 06/07/05 at 16:31:40

Glenn   wrote on 06/07/05 at 15:57:38:
The 22-20s flat-out sucked, but Rose Hill Drive freakin RAWKED! Joy, I guess you didn't get to see them open?

No man, I wish.

7th row will be shhweet, A24... right in front of Marc Ford is the place to be. I know Glenn would agree.

IP Logged
Cheryl
Senior Rocker

Neshanic Station, NJ
Reply #6 - 06/07/05 at 16:41:10

Wheeliechickie, good to see you on here ~ Take it from someone who was very very reluctant to see Tom Petty, but somebody paid for my ticket and I went.  He really impressed me.  I saw him last year...good partying music to dance to

What could I do different? It makes one sober to think...In an age of illusion, It's hard to know when to stop
cheryl_rosa   IP Logged
RegalRaven
Wee Rocker

Reply #7 - 06/07/05 at 17:53:41

Agreed... Tom Petty can seem like your downshifting depending on your mood or what was in the disc player before he hit the speakers.  But I've always dug him, particularly his lyrics (but I'm partial to words anyway.)   A friend turned me on to "Echo" and quite frankly it's a regular in the old cd line-up.  Especially on long red-eye flights.  That cd goes real good with a glass of red wine.   Smiley

IP Logged
StvMan
Real Rocker

"Yeah but I can
go to 11. One More
Louder"

Reply #8 - 06/07/05 at 19:03:24

I have never seen Petty live either but I am going to see him @ the Camden Tweeter Center next Fri w/ The Black Crowes whom I have seen many times. I am going to for the Crowes but I have heard a lot of good about Petty live so I am looking forward to it. If anyone is going to this show 12 of us rented a Bus with tables Bathroom and Waitress. So look for us.

"A Little Whiskey Buzz Through Your Radio" TCB
  IP Logged
Glenn
Wee Rocker

Reply #9 - 06/07/05 at 21:40:44

RegalRaven   wrote on 06/07/05 at 17:53:41:
 But I've always dug him, particularly his lyrics (but I'm partial to words anyway.)

Yeah, he happens to be a great songwriter, but I have just issues with his singing. I'm trying, though ... really, I am.

IP Logged
dirtbag
Administrator

Knowledge of the
lack of knowledge is
POWER!

Reply #10 - 06/07/05 at 23:16:16

Is it just my usual time delayed self or does Tom Petty not have a new tune out promoting a forthcoming album?  I've been hearing something smokin' on the radio lately that sounds an awful like early Brother Cane. (lots of rippin' harp).

BTW - good to see you back on the board Glennster.  Glad it's living up to your standards. Tongue

Can it get any better than drinkin, rockin, and blowin shit up? I didn't think so.
~ Bill Todd L.C.C.
WWW   IP Logged
flutterby
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/08/05 at 11:09:55

My experience at Petty shows is that he brings an intimacy and fun familiarity - and the audience responds well to his performance.  I wouldn't recommend multiple b/c there is little diversity or switching up setlists, but as long as you go with an open mind and understand what you're getting - then you'll enjoy the show.  

Maybe they'll flip a coin like Mule/moe and the BC will close the show..  There's always room for hope.

From the streets of Los Angeles to the depths of a troubled brother's soul.
  IP Logged
Andy24
Real Rocker

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 06/08/05 at 12:26:59

flutterby   wrote on 06/08/05 at 11:09:55:
Maybe they'll flip a coin like Mule/moe and the BC will close the show..  There's always room for hope.

That would be the cat's meow there I'll tell ya Smiley Would love to see The Black Crowes close that joint.

IP Logged
Glenn
Wee Rocker

Reply #13 - 06/08/05 at 14:14:39

Andy24   wrote on 06/08/05 at 12:26:59:
That would be the cat's meow there I'll tell ya Smiley Would love to see The Black Crowes close that joint.

Ain't gonna happen.

IP Logged
flutterby
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/08/05 at 15:25:02

no, its not going to happen.  It was a major disappointment that moe won the toss & are closing the Red Rocks show.  Nothing like double the disappointment.  At least we can set up camp and get some sleep...   Embarrassed Tongue ???

Hey Glen, have you melted down there yet?  The humidity & heat aren't so refreshing anymore, are they?!

From the streets of Los Angeles to the depths of a troubled brother's soul.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print